What to do if you have a problem with your Direct Payment

What to do if you have a problem with your Direct Payment

DASL can support you in dealing with any problems that arise with your Direct Payment. However most problems can be solved yourself by contacting the right people. Please read the common problems and solutions below before contacting DASL.

What can I do if my support needs change?
You can ask the social worker for a review of your support plan. It may be helpful to keep a record of the support you need in order to demonstrate the changes at your review. If the amount of support you need goes up or down and you want some advice about how this may impact your direct payment you can call DASL for advice.

Why has my Personal Assistant not been paid?
There could be a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, it may be that Lambeth have not made the payment to enable the payroll company to run your payroll for you. Alternatively, the payroll company may be missing information (e.g. timesheets) to stop them running the payroll. If you speak to the payroll company they should be able to clarify this. If there’s a problem with the payments sent by the council, then you should speak to the Money Management Team who will be able to confirm when the direct payment was paid, or the reason for any delay.

My Personal Assistant is on holiday, off sick or has disappeared, what should I do?
If you know someone who can support you in the interim, then you are free to organise that yourself. Otherwise you can contact an agency who can support you. Your social worker can give you a list of council approved care providers. Please note an agency may charge more than the hourly direct payment rate so you may want to check this first.

DASL has also put together a list of agencies operating in Lambeth which you can check out here

What happens if I want to stop the direct payment in the future?
You should check with the council how much notice you need to give them to stop the direct payment; it can be as much as five weeks.

If you are using your direct payment to employ a Personal Assistant you should speak to your insurance company for some advice to ensure you follow the correct process, as you would be making them redundant.

What do I do if I need to make a contribution?
You should pay the amount you are required to contribute into the direct payment account. If you have a bank account you can transfer the money in whatever way suits you. If you have a pre-paid card or third party account you should be able to set up a standing order into the relevant account. You can speak to the card provider or payroll company for more information if needed.

Do I have to provide a pension for my PA?
After you are registered as an employer with HMRC, you will eventually receive a letter from the Pensions Regulator about providing pensions for your employees. Any pension contributions you or your Personal Assistant needs to make will come out of the payroll, so you can speak to your payroll company for more information. If you don’t use a payroll company but wish to start, DASL can provide advice about payroll companies you could use.

What should I do if I am not happy with my Personal Assistant?
As an employer you need to be aware of the responsibilities you have and should get advice before taking action. You can speak to someone at DASL for general information, but for more specific legal advice you should contact your insurance company, who provide 24-hour legal advice from employment law specialists.

Contact Numbers
Money Management Team (Adults) - 020 7926 6730/020 7926 6285
Direct Payments Manager (Children) - 020 7926 4420
Disability Advice Service Lambeth - 020 7501 8960
EPayroll - 0800 977 4905/020 8405 8653
PayPacket - 0800 848 8998
Premier Care- 01476 514478
Fish - 0333 331 3770